Charter a private jet from California to Alaska
If you want to plan an unforgettable retreat to some of the United States’ most pristine natural beauty, Alaska is a fantastic choice. Here’s our guide to chartering a private jet from California to Alaska, including the top things to do and places to see while there.
Highlights of Alaska
From lights dancing off the snow-capped peaks of vast mountain ranges to the thawed rivers and valleys that wind through glaciers and throughout the great state, the Alaskan wilderness offers endless landscapes of stunning beauty. The largest and most sparsely populated American state is often referred to as "The Last Frontier" and, like many far-flung places, has a few unusual local rules of which visitors should take note. It is against the law to wake a sleeping bear, share your beer with a moose or take a flamingo into a barber shop. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
If you and friends are planning a trip from California to Alaska, you may want to charter a private jet to explore the staggering massif of Mount Denali on the way in – or on the way up, for confident mountaineers seeking the tallest peak in the United States. One doesn't always have to go up, though; the Mendenhall Ice Caves near Juneau stretch through a massive 12-mile-long glacier in the Mendenhall Valley, where a surreal and otherworldly atmosphere awaits those willing to venture inside.
Craving some quality food and drink after your outdoor adventures? Take a break from whale watching and helicopter rides to explore Alaska’s booming culinary and brewery scene. Experience fine dining with a traditional twist accompanied by ales from The Alaskan Brewing Company, which are sure to warm you up as the legendary Northern Lights illuminate the sky.
Here’s our take on the best airports to fly to/from when chartering a private jet from California to Alaska:
Top private jet airports in California
- Catalina Airport is located at the highest point of Catalina Island, earning it its nickname the “Airport in the Sky”.
- Eastern Sierra Regional Airport is immediately east of the town of Bishop, which western movie buffs will recognise from classics such as Three Faces West and Silver River.
- San Francisco International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in the bay area, and the first international airport to host a public art museum.
- Long Beach Daugherty Field Airport is one of the world’s busiest, but three fulltime noise specialists keep things neighborly with the residents of downtown Long Beach three miles away.
- Santa Monica Municipal Airport, located six miles north of LAX, has a special place in aviation history as the starting point and final destination of the first aerial circumnavigation of the world in 1924.
Top private jet airports in Alaska
- Lake Hood Strip Airport is the world’s busiest seaplane base, where you can watch close to 200 seaplanes daily take off from a restaurant and live music venue that’s aptly named The Deck.
- Kodiak Municipal Airport is a small airport located minutes from Kodiak, the little port city that connects Kodiak Island to the rest of the world.
- Juneau International Airport is the gateway to Alaskan capital Juneau. Rugged terrain makes Juneau a de facto island, only reachable via plane or boat.
- Sitka Rocky Gutierrez Airport is situated on the Pacific island of Sitka. Built on a former burial ground, it’s somewhat ominously known as "The Mausoleum".
- Petersburg James A. Johnson Airport serves the small but thriving fishing port of Petersburg, which is one of Alaska’s best-kept tourist secrets.
How long is the flight from California to Alaska?
You can reach the Last Frontier in under four hours, depending on your route and the type of aircraft you charter. Here are some examples of California to Alaska journey times:
- Flying from Catalina Airport to Lake Hood Airport in a light but roomy six-seater Hawker Beechcraft Premier takes roughly five-and-a-half hours.
- The flight from Long Beach Daugherty Airport to Juneau International Airport in a mid-size jet like the Embraer Legacy 500 will take you and eight friends about four-and-a-half hours. You’ll have plenty of room for baggage and the luxury of traveling in one of the most advanced private aircraft in its class.
- Traveling from San Francisco International Airport to Petersburg A. Johnson Airport in the impressive ultra long-range Dassault Falcon 7X is ideal for large, comfort-loving parties of up to 14. The flight time of just under three-and-a-half hours affords little opportunity to try out the queen-size beds.
Top events in Alaska
With temperatures below zero throughout winter, Anchorage in Alaska, is the perfect setting for the Fur Rendezvous, or "Fur Rondy" to the locals; an annual shindig that celebrates Alaskan history, industry and creativity with events such as the Rondy Carnival, the Running of the Reindeer and children's dog sled races. To catch this epic winter festival, plan your trip for between February 22 and March 3, 2019.
Dog sledding (or mushing, as it’s locally known) is an Alaskan tradition, and continues in March with the world-famous Iditarod Sled Dog Race. The world’s top mushers and sled dogs gather for two weeks of intense competition, covering over 1,000 brutal miles from Anchorage to Nome.
If the great outdoors isn’t your speed, thaw out with friends at the Anchorage International Film Festival, held at the start of December. An outstanding showcase for independent films, workshops and screenings, the festival draws filmmakers from around the country and the world to compete for the Golden Oosikar Award: a prize named after and styled to resemble the fossilized walrus penis. Grab the popcorn!
How much does it cost to charter a plane from California to Alaska?
This depends on the type of aircraft you charter and the route you take. You can read more in our blog post about how much it costs to hire a private plane. To get precise quotes for your bespoke journey, call us on +1 516 432 5901 or speak to our team online. Once you’ve had your questions answered, you’ll be assigned a dedicated account manager who will take care of all the arrangements, so all you have to do is sit back and enjoy your flight.