Private jet charter to Indy 500
The ‘Greatest Spectacle in Racing’ returns to Indianapolis for the 102nd Indy 500 race in May this year. The premier event of the IndyCar Series, the Indy 500 welcomes 33 of the world’s best race car drivers to tackle the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s 200-lap, 500-mile track. 400,000 racing enthusiasts descend on Indianapolis each year to witness this endurance race live. Charter a private jet to Indiana to be part of the action.
A history of Indy 500
The inaugural Indy 500 took place in 1911, when Ray Harroun took home the gold for the first time. Over the past 100 years, it’s produced some of the greatest racing drivers of all time, including four-time Indy 500 winners A. J. Foyt, Al Unser Sr. and Rick Mears, the latter of whom also holds the record for most career pole positions. Indy 500 is steeped in tradition: from the annual singing of James F. Hanley and Ballard Macdonald’s “Back Home Again in Indiana” to the celebratory bottle of milk enjoyed down the victory lane, spectators get a chance to experience the rich history of this unique sporting event.
The two to three weeks of practice and qualifying races that produce the final 33 racers are simply known as “The Month of May”. This is another long-standing tradition dating back to the inaugural race of 1911, when drivers arrived at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 1 to get as much practice as possible before the race. In 2014, a second IndyCar race was introduced to the series, taking place on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course around two weeks before the Indy 500 race.
This year, spectators will watch with bated breath as 2017 winner Takuma Sato of Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing defends his title against three-time winner Hélio Castroneves of Penske Racing and Andretti Autosport’s Stefan Wilson. Ed Carpenter racer Danica Patrick, who hasn’t competed at the Indy 500 since 2011, is also set to return to the tarmac. The return of old and new racing heavyweights – all nipping at Sato’s heels – means the 2018 Indy 500 is shaping up to become the event’s most exciting race yet.
Indy 500 schedule
The 2018 Indy 500 racing schedule begins on May 11 and is jam-packed with two weeks of racing action, events and live music. Listed below are five of the season’s upcoming highlights:
Saturday, May 12: IndyCar Grand Prix:
- 7:30am: Gates open
- 9:15am: USF2000 Race
- 10:10am: Pro Mazda Race
- 1.15pm: Indy Lights Race
- 3:50pm: INDYCAR Grand Prix
- 7:00pm: Gates close
Indy 500 Practice days on May 15, 16, 17, 18 and 21:
- 10:00am: Gates open
- 11:00am - 6:00pm: Indianapolis 500 Practice
- 6:00pm: Gates close
Armed Forces Pole Day on May 20:
- 9:00am: Gates open
- 12:00pm - 12:45pm: Indianapolis 500 Practice (Positions 10-33)
- 1:15pm - 5:00pm: Indianapolis 500 Practice (Fast 9)
- 2:45pm - 04:45pm: Indianapolis 500 Qualifying (Positions 10-33)
- 5:00pm - 5:45pm: Indianapolis 500 Qualifying (Fast 9)
- 5:45pm: Verizon P1 Award Ceremony
- 6:00pm: Gates close
Legends Day Presented by Firestone on May 26, 2018:
- 8:00am: Gates open
- 9:00am - 10:00am: Indianapolis 500 Full-Field Autograph Session
- 10:30am - 11:00am: Public Drivers’ Meeting
- 3:30pm - 6:00pm: Firestone Legends Day Concert featuring Sam Hunt
- 6:00pm: Gates close
102nd Indy 500 on May 27, 2018:
- 6:00am: Gates open
- 12:20pm: 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500 Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil
- 5:00pm: Gates close at 5pm
Date and tickets
Date: May 10-27, 2018
There’s a range of Indy 500 tickets and packages available to purchase. Listed below is a selection of the best tickets on offer:
- Reserved Seats on May 27, 2018 – Use the advanced search options on the Indy 500 website to find your perfect seat, track location and stand. Prices range from $55 - $125 per person.
- Bronze Badge – Includes admission to every day in May, IndyCar Grand Prix and Indy 500 Race Days. Also includes access to the infamous Gasoline Alley, where you can interact with the drivers and get up close to the cars. Tickets cost $135 per person.
- Firestone Legends Day Concert on May 27, 2018 – Includes admission to the biggest country music festival of the year, featuring Grammy Award nominee Sam Hunt, amongst others. Tickets range from $40 for General Admission tickets to $250 for VIP Deck Tickets.
- Hulman Terrace Club Full Season Ticket – Includes admission to the Hulman Terrace Club, situated outside the front straightaway of the infamous 2.5 mile oval past the exit of turn four. Tickets cost $1,750 per person and include pit and garage credentials every day (except Indy 500 Race Day), as well as premium concession options. This package includes admission to all of the following:
- IndyCar Grand Prix (May 11-12)
- Indy 500 (May 16-20 and May 25-17)
- Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational (June 17)
- Big Machine Brickyard 400 weekend (September 7-9)
- Red Bull Air Race (October 6-7)
Once you’ve purchased your tickets to Indy 500, allow Air Charter Service to arrange your private jet charter to Indianapolis Regional Airport. Benefit from a stress-free, bespoke and luxurious journey so that you can focus on what matters – enjoying the Indy 500 live.