Tour potential colleges by private jet
You’ve worked hard through school. Now it’s time to make that important decision of finding the college that’s just right for you. The best way to do this is to visit the schools on your shortlist and tour their campuses to see which is the best fit for you. Chartering a private jet gives you the opportunity to spend less time on travel and more time on campus. It’s safe, comfortable and by flying into a private jet airport nearby, you’ll avoid delays and wasting time in queues. Here are some examples of how private jet charter travel can help you get the most out of your college tours.
Princeton University, New Jersey
If you travel to Princeton by commercial flight, you’d have to land at Newark Liberty International, 38 miles from the main college campus. Charter a private plane and you have the choice of three private jet airports: Princeton Airport, less than four miles away; Carnegie Center Heliport, just three miles away; or Trenton-Mercer Airport, 14 miles away. Suitable aircraft include the American-built Bombardier Learjet 31, which seats six passengers in comfort and style, and the four-passenger Bell 206B Jet Ranger.
Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Travel to Harvard or MIT by private jet charter, arriving at Logan International Airport or Norwood Memorial Airport. Flying into a private jet airport gives you the opportunity to arrive and leave at a time that suits your college tour schedule. You’re also likely to get through arrivals and departures more quickly.
If you visited Princeton first, then traveled on to Harvard or MIT, you could get from Princeton Airport to Norwood Memorial Airport in just 46 minutes on an aircraft like the Cessna Citation Excel, which seats up to eight people.
Emory University, Georgia
Planning to visit Emory University’s 630-acre city college campus? You could fly to the large Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, located about 15 miles away. Alternatively, a private jet charter can fly you from Harvard or MIT to DeKalb-Peachtree Airport, within six miles of the college, in two-and-a-half hours on the Eclipse 500 550. This aircraft is designed for a minimum carbon footprint with maximum performance and efficiency, making it the world's most efficient twin-engine jet.
Vanderbilt University, Tennessee
Chartering a private jet from Georgia to Nashville is quick and comfortable on an aircraft like the Hawker Beechcraft 400, which can accommodate seven passengers in its oval-shaped flat-floor cabin. You’ll get from Atlanta to either John C. Tune Airport (seven miles from campus), or Nashville International Airport (10 miles from campus) in about 45 minutes.
Stanford University or California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
You can easily travel from your tour of Vanderbilt to California in four hours and 38 minutes on private charter. The Gulfstream G150 jet has a range of 5,556km and flies further at a higher Mach speed than any other midsize business aircraft. Its oval-shaped cabin provides ample head and shoulder room for up to eight passengers and advanced flight-deck technology in the cockpit makes for a smooth ride.
Palo Alto Airport puts you down a little over three miles from Stanford University. Alternatively, both San Carlos Airport and Hayward Executive Airport are within 20 miles of the college, or you could land at Stanford Heliport, less than a mile from campus and a stone’s throw from the university’s Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts.
Planning to visit Caltech? Private jet airports nearby range from the huge Los Angeles International, 29 miles away, to the much smaller San Gabriel Valley Airport, nine miles from campus. Or opt for the historic airfield of Disney Grand Central Air Terminal, recently restored to its original grandeur by Disney, which is just 11 miles away.
Getting the most out of your college tour
Take some time to decide which type of college tour suits you best. Below is a round-up of your main options:
- Walking tours, usually hosted by a current undergraduate student, last a few hours and include an information session that looks at campus life and academics.
- Open house tours offer a deeper look at the college's academic offering. You’ll get to speak to staff and faculty about academic programs, clubs and support services. These tours typically take days or can happen over several weekends.
- Self-guided tours allow you and your family to explore campus at your own pace with the help of detailed maps and guidebooks.
- Overnight or extended visits are an option if you’d like to attend a pre-arranged meeting with a professor or admissions officer and attend a class.
Additionally, make a list of things to look out for on campus during college visits. This includes all the factors and information that will help you get the most, academically and socially, out of your college experience:
- Facilities connected to your chosen major
- Lecture halls and classrooms
- A student union or student center
- Buildings, sports facilities and outdoor spaces to pursue sports and hobbies
- The dining hall and types of college food on offer
- Religious and cultural institutions
- The career center (make sure this is included in your college tour, as it’ll allow you to see which companies are interviewing on campus – a good indicator of your prospects after graduation)
- Fraternity and sorority houses (drive or walk by to see what they look like)
- Spend a bit of time in the town or city surrounding the college campus (Vanderbilt is located in Nashville, or Music City, and there are plenty of off-campus dining options, shopping and music and entertainment venues)
- Bulletin boards on campus are a window into how dynamic student life is at a particular college campus
Your college campus tour should help you to choose the school that’s the best fit for you. A private jet charter can help you to avoid the logistical headaches of campus-to-campus travel, so all you have to worry about is the important stuff.
You can learn more in this blog post about how much it costs to charter a private plane. Speak to our team to get precise quotes for your bespoke journey, then let your dedicated account manager take care of all the logistics. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy your college tour.